Weekly Online Newsletter Vol.190
Summer, at a lake, is about as Minnesotan as one can be; and fishing for walleye is a true Minnesota experience. I’ve had the luxury of going to the same lake for my entire life, Big Toad Lake in Minnesota. Some of my greatest memories as a kid were going fishing for walleye with my father. He would pack a cooler with beer for himself and a few grape and orange flavored sodas for me. I would snack on sunflower seeds all afternoon trying to catch the eluding Minnesota walleye. If we were lucky, we could catch the Minnesota Twins on the radio as well. Unfortunately, sometimes this was the only thing we caught.
I am lucky to still have my father around today so we can continue to go fishing at Big Toad Lake. Nowadays, the flavored soda is replaced with a wide range of craft beers. The sunflower seeds are still packed and we plan fishing around the Minnesota Twin’s games.
I can’t tell you the best way to land a walleye, but I can surely help you match your fresh walleye with some great craft beers. Pairing your walleye with craft beers depends on how you prepare your walleye. Below are some great examples of walleye, prepared various ways and matched with some outstanding beers. For more information and other recipes check out https://www.gameandfishmag.com/editorial/10-of-the-greatest-walleye-recipes/332038
CRISPY BAKED WALLEYE
Crispy breaded fish without frying!
- Fargo Brewing Co. Original Lager
- Summit Brewing Co. Dakota Soul Craft Lager
- Laughing Sun Brewing Co. I Heart ND Lager
This is a fantastic marinade, walleye is one of the best whitefish!
- Bell’s Brewery Oberon Ale
- Sam ‘76
- Odell Brewing Co. Rupture Fresh Grind India Pale Ale
A great recipe from Gunflint Lodge
- Lagunitas Brewing Co. India Pale Ale
- Summit Brewing Co. Extra Pale Ale
- Rhombus Brewing Co. Invincible Pale Ale
- Fair State Brewing Cooperative India Pale Ale
- Grain Belt Nordeast Amber Lager
- Fargo Brewing Co. Stone’s Throw Ale
FRIED CHEESY WALLEYE NUGGETS
Great cheesy fish bites!
- Rhombus Brewing Co. Iconic Blonde Ale
- Fulton Brewing Co. Lonely Blonde Ale
- Guinness American Blonde Lager
A light crust for this delicate fish won’t cover up the taste of the fish itself. Plus it is quick and easy.
- Samuel Adams Boston Lager
- August Schell Brewing Co. Firebrick Vienna Lager
- Drumconrath Ribbonman Irish Red
Give the catch of the day an unexpected zip with salsa. It dresses up the golden crumb-coated fillets and keeps them moist and tender.
- Odell Brewing Co. Drumroll American Hazy Pale Ale
- Empyrean Mind Over Mango India Pale Ale
- Fair State Brewing Cooperative Pahly Ahlay Pale Ale
- Bell’s Brewery Two Hearted India Pale Ale
- Fulton Brewing Co. 300 Mosaic India Pale Ale
- Laughing Sun Brewing Co. Feast Like a Sultan India Pale Ale