Weekly Online Newsletter Vol. 54
The 30th Anniversary of the Great American Beer Festival was this past weekend. They also celebrated the 35th Anniversary of gathering annually. I’ve included some information on the festival below courtesy: https://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/
I’ve also included our individual brewery awards – A special congratulations goes out to Summit Brewing Company on winning a Gold medal on their 30th Anniversary in the same year GABF celebrates 30 years!
Overview: Great American Beer Festival Competition
In a ceremony at the Colorado Convention Center in Denver, prestigious gold, silver and bronze medals were awarded to winning breweries in 96 beer categories covering 161 different beer styles (including all subcategories), establishing the best examples of each style in the country. Neither a gold nor a silver medal were awarded in the Pumpkin/Squash Beer category.
Winners were chosen from 7,227 competition entries (nearly 9 percent more than the 6,647 entries in 2015 and surpassing all previous participation records) from 1,752 breweries hailing from 50 states plus Washington, D.C.
The competition also saw its biggest-ever panel of judges, with 264 beer experts from 12 countries, including the U.S., and 170 competition volunteers. The panel also evaluated 88 Pro-Am entries, which were judged in three rounds over four days.
Photo © Brewers Association
Summary: 2016 Great American Beer Festival Statistics
- 35th anniversary of the festival; 30th edition of the GABF competition
- 780 breweries in the festival hall
- 3,800+ beers served at the festival
- 60,000 attendees
- 3,600 volunteers (festival and competition combined)
- 1,752 breweries in the competition from 50 states plus Washington, D.C.
- 254 medal-winning breweries
- 286 total medals awarded
- 7,227 beers judged (not including 88 Pro-Am competition entries), a nearly 9 percent increase over 2015
- 96 style categories judged, plus the Pro-Am competition
- 264 judges from 12 different countries
- Average number of competition beers entered in each category: 75 (excludes Pro-Am beers)
- Category with highest number of entries: American-Style India Pale Ale: 312
Photo © Brewers Association
A Special Congratulations goes out to Summit Brewing Company Winning Gold on their 30th Anniversary in the same year that The Great American Beer Festival celebrates their 30th Anniversary!!
Large Brewing Company and Large Brewing Company Brewer of the Year
Pabst Brewing Co., Los Angeles, Calif.
Category 4: Fruit Wheat Beer
Silver: Mango Wheat, Blue Moon Brewing Co., Denver CO
Category 36: American-Style Light Lager or German-Style Light Lager
Bronze: Coors Light, Coors Brewing Co., Golden CO
Category 37: American Style Lager or Ice Lager or Malt Liquor
Gold: Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR), Pabst Brewing Co., Los Angeles, CA
Silver: Coors Banquet, Coors Brewin Co., Golden, CO
Category 38: American-Style Cream Ale
Silver: Old Style Lager, Pabst Brewing Co., Los Angeles, CA
Category 54: Classic English-Style Pale Ale
Gold: Extra Pal Ale, Summit Brewing Co., Saint Paul, MN
Please check with your sales person on availability and pricing (please note some products are not available in certain markets)